Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Lethal Strike

WOW....

I had no idea the amount of the severity of high pressure hydraulic lines. I had a basic understanding that the contents under pressure could cause some injury to the skin, even to the point of losing fingers or entire body parts, or worse! I was thinking about posting some pictures with this blog but decided against it, NASTY!

The Lethal Strike video i thought was done well and informed in a way that almost scares you into taking the proper precautions when dealing with high pressure lines. It definately opened my eyes to the dangers and I can garuantee the next time im working with high pressure lines, even if there is no pressure built up, I will be remebering this and being extremely cautious. The one thing that really shocked me is at that amount of pressure leather gloves or the like would be penetrated as well as the skin of your hand or body. Even amounts as low as 100 PSI can cause hydraulic injection.

Im glad i watched this video, and I almost feel like any mechanic or hydraulic repair individual should most definately watch this video or be informed of the dangers before attempting to mess with this stuff. The only regret i have is not watching this sooner in my mechanical career. I have been in hydraulic line repair and even had one burst on me on a D4 Cat. Luckily my hands were not in the line of fire.... evidentally i got pretty lucky.

1 comment: